The TUC, supported by major national trade unions, has called a national demonstration at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester on October 4th against austerity and in defence of workers' rights.
Oxford and District TUC, Unison Oxfordshire Health branch, Banbury GMB and Oxford Peoples Assembly Against Austerity are working together to fund and coordinate transport from across Oxfordshire to the march and are seeking support from other Oxfordshire trade union branches and campaigns. In June Oxfordshire unions successfully worked together to take coaches from across Oxfordshire to join the 250,000 strong "End Austerity Now" demonstration.
Now we want to take people to Manchester to march on the Tory party conference. If you would like to join us you can book your seat on the Oxfordshire transport using by clickng on the graphic below. Seats are free to members of supporting unions and £12 for non-union waged and £6 concessions.
There is an urgent need to continue to mobilise in the face of an escalation in government attacks and growing inequality:
- This government has announced attacks on trade union subs collection and further barriers to workers workers taking legal strike action
- This government plans to cut £12bn from welfare hitting the most vulnerable in our society hardest.
- The richest 1,000 people in Britain doubled their wealth during the last parliament, while the living standards of the majority fell.
- There has been a huge rise in zero hour contracts, precarious, low-paid and part-time work. Millions of people are not benefiting from the supposed economic 'recovery'.
- The Tories have presided over the worst housing crisis in living memory. They are the friends of private landlords and property - developers. Now they want to sell off even more social' housing.
- The Tories are pushing privatisation. They want to encourage international free trade deals which will destroy the public sector.
- Our NHS is under attack. The government plans to dismantle the NHS and sell it off to private companies to run for profit.
- Education is being savaged. The Tories are threatening to raise university fees even higher. Academies and free schools are taking over, denying any democratic control over our children's education.
- Migrants are facing a racist backlash. They are being scapegoated for the problems caused by the bankers and bosses.
We are also asking activists if their union branch or campaign:
- Is booking its own transport and would be prepared to share seats with other unions/members of the public in return for your members from other towns travelling on transport organised by other union branches.
- Would be prepared to pay the cost price of your union members travelling on the organised transport at a rate of £12/member if not organising your own transport
- make a donation to publicity (see attached) and transport.
- Would publicise the online booking system that allows coordination between branches and different Oxfordshire towns (Oxford, Banbury, Didcot, Abingdon, Witney.) if so a web graphic is attached and the link to the online form is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ncJiTZ-YB02xTf3Kq3nUvblHOHLUpq9lKCEjgoz5KBw/viewform for inclusion on your branch website and in emails to your members (any bookings from your branch memebrs would be passd to you in the event you are organising your own coach, otherwise we'll ask for support for your members' fares).
- Would like a supply of printed materials based on the attached design for your workplace.
Unison Oxfordshire Health branch
on behalf of the Oxford Peoples Asssemblty Oct 4 mobilising committee